Are you suffering from an injury, sprain, or strain? Is pain keeping you locked out of the activities you enjoy? At DonnéFIT Physical Therapy, we understand how difficult this can be.
No one wants to deal with a painful recurring injury. Especially one that just won’t seem to go away no matter what you do. Thankfully, the Philadelphia, PA therapists at our physical therapy clinic have a solution.
Both ice and heat therapy can work to provide serious pain relief when used correctly. A trained physical therapist will know which type, ice or heat, will work best for the type of pain you’re experiencing. To get started on this beneficial form of therapy, keep reading and contact DonnéFIT Physical Therapy today to request an appointment.
How do ice and heat therapies work?
Ice and heat work in different ways to help ease painful conditions. Heat increases blood flow and enhances the speed at which nutrients are sent to various parts of the body. Ice, on the other hand, reduces blood flow and brings down inflammation and swelling.
The following are a few ways physical therapy uses heat to ease pain:
- Heat therapy is often used for older or recurring injuries. It can reduce pain when a person is experiencing arthritis or stiff joints.
- Heating pads, wraps, and gel packs can be used to relieve chronic pain in the neck and lower back.
- Heat therapy is used for treating and reducing pain for muscle spasms.
There are also specific benefits for using ice therapy, sometimes called cryotherapy, in physical therapy treatment:
- Icing can reduce pain in injuries such as ligament sprains in the ankles or knees.
- Ice therapy is often used for many types of muscle strains.
- Ice therapy is recommended for new injuries to immediately reduce swelling.
Look no further for relief!
- Heat and ice can be used to successfully treat various conditions, including:
- Sprains and strains
- Tendonitis, or chronic irritation and stiffness in the tendons
- Spasms relating to neck or back injury
At our Philadelphia, PA physical therapy clinic, your therapist will create a personalized treatment plan for you that includes heat and ice therapies working in combination with each other to heal you. Don’t wait any longer to seek out relief. Contact DonnéFIT Physical Therapy today to request an appointment with our dedicated staff. We are looking forward to treating you!